Building Department

Building Department Hours:    
Monday & Wednesday     8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday      11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Shannon Wright

(734) 379-3683  Office, ext 101
(734) 379-2523  Fax

The primary responsibility of the Building Department is the enforcement of construction codes relating to building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. The Village of South Rockwood has adopted the State of Michigan Construction Code. The State of Michigan adopted the single state codes to protect the public health, safety and welfare and provide for uniform enforcement in every jurisdiction.

The permit process protects residents and the business owner from the hazards of unsafe construction and helps them understand local laws and ordinances.  The State of Michigan also requires all residential builders, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical contractors to be licensed by the State.  Contractors must register with the Village prior to beginning work. The Village verifies their licenses and insurance to make sure they are qualified.   

R105.1 of the Michigan Building Code reads as follows: 
"Any owner or owner's authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit."

For information on individual permits see the link on the left titled Permit Requirements & Fees.

Permits are NOT REQUIRED for the following items:
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached 1- or 2-family dwellings
  • Minor electrical repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles
  • Portable heating or gas appliance's with inputs of less than 30,000 BTU's per hour.
  • Portable ventilation appliances and equipment
  • A portable cooling unit
  • A portable evaporative cooler 
  • Replacement of any minor mechanical part that does not alter the approval of equipment or an appliance or make such equipment or appliance unsafe
  • The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe. HOWEVER, if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, then the work is considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in the code.
  • The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, if the repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.

NOTE:  Some work performed in the village may require other types of permits.  Other regulations that may affect your project and require a permit are Zoning Requirements or Flood Plain Regulations.

Some of these projects may include the following:
Fences, Signs, flag poles, swimming pools, decks, patios, sheds & storage buildings, and retaining walls.